Available for Firefox and Chrome:
Hacker News Userscript - a Browser Extension to Play Hide and Seek!
The Usescript is written in Rust with Web Assembly compile target.
The extension provides features, which allow users to filter submissions based on a text or a regular expression:
- Filter submissions by text in title or link
- Filter comments by text
- Hide submissions and comments from a specific user
- Get visual feedback on how many items were hidden by a particular filter
- Toggle hide of all the children for a hidden parent comment
[hidden]placeholder in place of hidden items
- Hide an individual submission, without auto-loading the next one. You can hide everything on the page, and it will stay blank!
Uses Rust's Regex to enable expression matching. Regardless of regex usage, matches by text as a substring in an item.
All the filtering data and settings are stored in the localstorage.
See the videos below for the features showcase.
- Highlighting by topic
- Endless scrolling
- Thread auto-update
- Background thread watcher
- Codebase refactoring
- Replies, subscriptions
- Group items by topics
- Chronological comments with reply links
- Easy point-and-click to filter an item
- Collapsible sidebar
- Better UI
- Favorites functionality
- Automatically mark already-read submissions and comments
- Export and import filters and settings
- Infotips on hover
In the Future
- Safari support, mobile support
- Local-first cloud sync between devices
- Support for other websites
- Social collaborative filtering
Sponsor This Project
You can sponsor this work, as well as other projects of mine via Liberapay and Patreon:
Sign up for the newsletter to never miss a post